South Africa is a nation in the midst of two stories.
One is a story of excess and luxury around the nation’s hot spots. It’s the one where the natural beauty, the adventure, and the wildlife draw in 860,000 visitors each month. It’s the one that brought the 2010 World Cup to Cape Town. But, while it’s seen by many, it’s the one that’s only lived by few.
The other story is of the poverty, disease, and hopelessness that riddles many of the lesser-seen townships. It’s the one with 1.4 million AIDS orphans. It’s the one where unemployment reaches 80%. And it’s the one just years removed from apartheid where crime, alcoholism, and poverty remain on full display.
ROCKHARBOR is compelled to see God’s kingdom advance in South Africa. That’s why we are partnering with Bridges of Hope in the township of Sweet Home. Together, we are invested in a boarding school to teach, mentor, and disciple the students there in hopes of creating not only long-term, sustainable solutions in Sweet Home, but to raise and equip leaders that are worth following there. ROCKHARBOR also sends teams to Sweet Home each year to run vacation bible schools, to support and grow a newly planted church within the community, and to be on the front lines of bringing Jesus’ gospel to people that are desperate for it.
Want to come to South Africa this summer? We’re currently accepting applications to visit our South Africa partner, Bridges of Hope. We encourage you to seek God’s will for you concerning the trip and what he’s calling you to do. Here’s some important info about the trip:
- Trip Dates are:: July 25th – August 10th
- Applications are due no later than February 28th, 2014. Fill it out here and click submit.
- An informational meeting will be held on Wednesday, February 19th at 6 p.m. in the Box at 345 Fischer on the Costa Mesa campus.
- Approximate trip cost: $3500. You will be responsible for raising this amount through sending support letters. We will help you with this process!
- A $400 non-refundable deposit is due upon being invited to go on the team
- Qualifying applicants will be interviewed, and we hope to have the team finalized by April 1, 2014
- The trip will consist of:
- Empowering students and children at Bridges of Hope through CHE trainings
- After-school programs with students and children
- Strengthening relationships with students and staff at Bridges
Training Dates & Times
Sunday, April 13th (training) Sunday, June 15th (training)
Friday, May 2nd (evening social) Saturday, June 28th (evening social)
Sunday, May 4th (training) Sunday, July 13th (training)
Sunday, May 18th (training) Sunday, July 20th (training)
Sunday, June 1st (serve day, 8:30-4:30) Sunday, August 17th (debrief)
Friday, June 13th (evening social)
*All training sessions are mandatory and will take place from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. unless otherwise noted.
Find out more
Email the Mission team for more info on RH in South Africa.